Sunday, January 17, 2010

T.H.I.N.K.

I heard a helpful bit of wisdom today that's been around awhile but was new to me. "THINK before you speak" is attributed to the English clergyman Alan Redpath (1907 - 1989).

His idea was simple. Before you speak, ask yourself if what you're about to say is:

T = True
H = Helpful
I = Inspiring
N = Necessary, and
K = Kind

The advice is well-timed for me, because just yesterday, I caught myself saying a few things that, well, I should have "THINKed" about first. It's helpful for me to have this acronym in my life right now.

It can also be a good yardstick to use while sizing up new songs, new blog posts, Facebook comments...you name it.

At a time when there's more communication than ever, THINKing can help prevent harmful misunderstandings and unnecessary conflict.

3 comments:

Benjamin Ramey said...

Great idea, and very helpful; yet there is certainly a place for rebuke, reproof, etc.; THINK can't be to the complete exclusion of saying anything even mildly unpleasant. 'Rebuke a wise person, and they will love you' & 'an open rebuke is better than secret love'. Nonetheless, it seems criticism or rebukes are not at all dealt by most people in a spirit of helpfulness and real love, or done in a private manner. I've found that if I am compelled to speak to someone about something they might take as criticism, it is best to make a compliment sandwich: a compliment, the point (usually not pleasant), another compliment. And of course, as the saying goes, it is all in how you say it! Respect goes a long, long way - too often, a 'negative' comment is spoken in a shaming manner. And we seem to live in a largely shame-based society. People commonly shame other people openly, instead of protecting their dignity and regarding one another as a person worthy of respect - no matter their fault or misdeed, error or ignorance. Because in SOMETHING (or with SOMEONE), we usually ourselves are, or not long ago were, or soon will be, the same: at fault, in error, or ignorant.

Lynn Harrison said...

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful comment. You're quite right...and I'm sure your colleagues and friends benefit from your respectful communication when conflicts arise.

All the best,

Lynn

Anonymous said...

I love it! I am a middle school teacher in Florida and I have seen my 7th and 8th graders, on a daily basis, being ugly to each other vocally and online... I will be incorporating this acronym into my classroom and hopefully it will inspire other teachers and administration to adopt this schoolwide!