Monday, November 29, 2010

Facebook Scrabble Song for Alex

Back in September, 2008, I wrote a song inspired by "Scrabulous", the online word game that was threatened with extinction over copyright issues.  The matter was resolved (the game is now called "Lexulous") and "The Facebook Scrabble Song" seemed destined for the scrap heap of topical songs that are no longer topical.

Then my talented songwriting friend Alex Hickey mentioned in my class for songwriters that she and her mom play scrabble on Facebook.

I said, "I have a song about that!"  (It's one of those golden moments all songwriters hope for.) 

Now Alex has announced that she's moving home to Nova Scotia.  I think her mother may live there.  If so, I hope they get to play lots of Scrabble in person--and Lexulous online, too.



P.S.  I've written a couple of other songs that comment on our relationship with the Internet.  "Twitter in my Heart" is one and "Embrace Me" is another.  On the whole, I tend to favour face-to-face experiences over online ones...but here we are on the Internet!  Paradox is beautiful.

1 comment:

www.alexsings.ca said...

I love it! Thanks very much for posting this, Lynn. Yes, I will be playing lots of Scrabble in person with my mom (and other friends and family) once I'm home in NS. And I'll be playing Scrabble online with friends in Toronto (and elsewhere) Hooray for simple pleasures!