Thursday, June 01, 2006

For

I realize that if I get around to recording my tribute project before I record any new collection of songs, I could call it "For"...my fourth CD.

The project enjoyed a brief lull after I wrote and recorded the first two songs (for Neil Young and Bruce Cockburn). Now I'm working on a number of songs for (in tribute to) three women artists: Rita MacNell, Jane Siberry and Joni Mitchell. The Rita song has been half-finished for a few weeks now; the Jane song has been started a few times (who knows where it will go) and the Joni song was written tonight, after several hours of noodling that I wasn't sure was going anywhere.

It's always wonderful when a creative project suddenly snaps into focus. It's so reassuring, seeing that all the mucking around and exploration actually lead to something. I believe it's always leading to something, even when the completed project isn't soon in coming. One of the reasons I like songwriting, though, is that often the process is short: a sprint, not a long-distance run.

Fairly early on, as I began to write this song, I felt that it wouldn't be exclusively inspired by Joni Mitchell as a musician and songwriter. Instead, I wanted to highlight the connection of her paintings to her songwriting. It's always struck me that she's just as accomplished in both art forms, and in both cases she's manipulating shades of emotion and meaning, playing with light and shade and colour.

It may not be coincidental that on Tuesday, I picked up my own sketchbook for the first time in months, and drew a pretty fair pen-and-ink drawing of my daughter reading after her piano lesson. I was pleased with the results (much as I am when I write a good song) and yet I know what its technical flaws are, and I admire those who have mastered the ability to draw.

I think it was that admiration that informed "Colour Wheel", my tribute song for Joni Mitchell. I see her as an artist who understands all the brilliant shades of human emotion; who knows how to use them all.

Writing the song brings me back full-circle in other ways too. The first Joni Mitchell song I learned, back in high school, was "The Circle Game".

No comments: