Friday, April 13, 2007

On Context and Joshua Bell

This week, I heard about an article in The Washington Post from several sources, including Bob Baker’s and Kat’s blogs. The story described an experiment in which virtuoso violinist Joshua Bell fails to attract any attention while busking at a busy subway station.

I'm interested in this subject, having written extensively (in the earlier version of this blog ) about my own busking experience on the Toronto subway system.

Lots of details in the really excellent article resonated with me. I'll admit to feeling validated when I learned that even Joshua Bell was ignored by the passing crowds (“It’s not just me!”). I noticed that our experiences were very similar. Every child responded to the music. It felt strange when songs ended and no one applauded (or even noticed).

I was glad that the writer, Gene Weingarten, raised the philosophical question: “If beautiful music reaches no one, is it still beautiful?” I maintain that it is. I thought so when I was busking, and my opinion hasn't changed. But I would rephrase the question to make it reflect the experience more accurately. “If art reaches only a few …?” For it usually does reach a few. And to those people, art is not only beautiful, it is truly rare and precious: perhaps more precious than a mass-distributed product that reaches millions.

Is the lesson of the Joshua Bell Experiment that musicians need to ensure they get good gigs? Or is the lesson that as a culture, we're losing (or have already lost) our ability to recognize and nurture beauty? In such a market-driven, popularity-contest culture, how can artists respond?

Bob writes that “it's all about context” and that independent musicians need to do everything we can to create the context in which people will see us in a positive light. But in a world dominated by high-priced entertainment products, the price of the “right context” can be high.

In Toronto, an aspiring singer named Chantal Chamandy recently paid $500,000 to put her CDs in Dollarama stores and put big advertisements all over the city. She’s also planning a big concert at the Pyramids of Egypt—fantastic context—and I’ll bet she’s paying for that. About a year ago, a guy whose name I can't remember (!) rented Roy Thomson Hall for his first gig. On a smaller scale, musicians routinely lose money to pay side musicians and book prestigious venues, and pay $20,000 or more each time to produce professional CDs. Context, context, context. We're hooked on it.

A legitimate, if unusual and even radical, approach—one in line with a more slowed-down, sustainable, community-based and earth-centred approach to life and art—is to think less about context and more about content, less about celebrity and more about service.

To consciously aim to reach fewer people more deeply.

Ideally, that happens in a place that benefits both the sender and the receiver. Maybe not a subway corridor, maybe someone's home.

When such a connection occurs, playing on the margins isn't so bad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynne, Your posting today really struck a chord. Sometimes when playing to a small group of people I've felt a bit disappointed that there wasn't a better turnout...then one person will tell you that the music really touched them and that makes it all worthwhile. I've been reading your Blog for almost two years, after stumbling across it when Googling 'TTC subway musicians'. As a newbie subway musician I found your experiences so helpful. I've also enjoyed reading about your songwriting and how you balance family and work responsibilities with a music career. Thanks for sharing your insights! Sue

Lynn Harrison said...

Hi Sue,

(I thought I responded to this...but now think that I didn't! Sorry...I meant to!)

Thanks very much for your note Sue. I'm glad my writing has been helpful. It like the music isn't it...we send it off into the world and don't know what happens to it after that! Good luck with your gigs, songwriting and life balance. We have a lot in common I'm sure!

All the best,

Lynn