Tuesday, May 29, 2007

An "Ahah" Moment

Today I went out for a long walk to write a song.

Walking is a very effective technique for songwriting, or for that matter, any kind of problem solving. There's something about a walk that puts the mind into a state of heightened conscious alertness and unconscious automatic pilot at the same time. When you're writing a song or solving any other kind of creative problem, you need both parts of your mind to be in tune.

Walks help.

So I took a very long walk to write a song about bicycles.

I was headed to the bank. On the way there, I came up with a pretty good lyric for my chorus. When it came to me I felt very pleased, and I sat down on a bench to write it down. Then I continued my walk, getting to the bank and making a side-trip along the way for some very good Italian cookies.

But on the way home, I was feeling unsettled. During all the walking in the meantime, I had repeated that chorus in my mind. To my disappointment, I realized (when I was standing in the bank lineup) that it didn't work. I needed a rhyme in the middle of the phrase as well as the end. The line I had written didn't have one.

So, on the way home, I made up probably 10 or 12 different lyric lines. I felt irritated because they were all pretty bad: the phrasing was awkward or the meaning weird. I wondered if I'd have to take the whole song apart and start again.

Then about 3/4 of the way home, I finally thought of a good line. A simple, clear one. Ahah!

And just then, I turned a corner and looked at a license plate: AHAH 642.

1 comment:

The Whiners Weblog said...

If you checked the time it was probably 6:42. As we've talked about in the past, there are wonderful coincidences we should pounce on. Cool!