Thursday, November 13, 2008

Performance as Leadership

Lots of people are talking about leadership these days. Maybe it's all because of Barack Obama...or maybe it's that the world's problems are so significant we know we need leaders right now.

Let's be honest. Little-known singer-songwriters are seldom thought of as leaders.

But it seems to me that if we want to get better at what we do -- to truly offer something of value -- we'd better get better at leadership.

That doesn't mean we have to turn into singing politicians. But it does mean we have to accept the leadership responsibility that's conferred on us the minute we step on stage.

I notice that a lot of aspiring performers seem to have no idea they're leaders. In fact, some of them seem to make the audience their leader: depending on applause or a certain level of quiet in the room, or worrying about what people might think of them. (I used to do that a lot.) Some performers close their eyes while they're singing, appearing to sing only for themselves.

Maybe we think that because we're not financially successful or famous, we're not entitled to be leaders? And yet, the minute we step on a stage, even if it's at a humble open mic, that's exactly what we become. We're all lit up, people are watching and listening. They're hoping that we will lead.

So...what do leaders do?

First, they make a respectful connection with the audience, in a sense inviting them to go on a shared journey. Next, they communicate stuff that matters to people. In other words, the songs may arise out of personal experience (there's a place for personal anecdotes even in presidential speeches) but they need to address universal human needs.

Songwriters who are effective leaders provide messages of empowerment ( "you can make it", "change is possible" ), inspiration ("be uplifted with me", "join me on this journey" ), reassurance ( "you are not alone" and ultra-leader Bob Marley's "everything's gonna be alright" ), identification ( "I've been where you are" )...the list goes on. Every element of a song can be put to the leadership test. Does it (the lyric, melody, chord structure) challenge? Or wake up? Or motivate?

The leadership does not have to be limited to the song itself. Between songs, leader-songwriters offer truthful insight about themselves and their life experience. "My teenage nephew is going through a hard time. This song is hopeful and I'm thinking of him right now". (The messages might be "don't lose hope" or "care for each other" . The song doesn't have to be about the specific circumstances and it could even be a cover tune.) Or "I wrote this at a time in my life when my priorities weren't really straight. I dunno if they're any straighter now, but I still like the song!" (Message: "I'm still striving to become a better person." )

A good performer takes the audience by the hand, says "I'll take you where you want to go" and leads them there...or as close as she can get. That requires both confidence and humility.

The confidence comes, I think, from going to that "place we want to go" ourselves. From finding beauty, energy, truth, inspiration through the songs and then offering that back to others in a spirit of community.

The humility comes from knowing that no song can take people where they want to go forever and that our songs may fall short of offering everything we hoped they would.

Still, with confidence and humility, we can lead. ( "Yes we can!" )

If we do, our songs will get better, people will listen, and we will know our songs have a place in the world.

2 comments:

Binary Rhyme said...

I'm with you on this one. I've gotten similar feedback, and I'll provide it as well. Tunes of yours like "Music Town", "Sympathy Card" and "No Place to Go" (to name just three of many) encapsulate wisdom and stimulate self examination and insight.

(Can you tell I've been enjoying Broadview immensely?)

Lynn Harrison said...

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your recent comments and for your kind words about the music. I often think of the songs as teaching me, rather than me writing the songs, so I guess that's another dimension of all this. Now I'm off to try finishing a song or two...hope it works this time!

Lynn