Monday, January 24, 2011

Fragments

People are always making things up and leaving them lying around. 

Some of our made-up things get "finished": framed in neat packages that allow us to hand them off to others.  Other artistic ideas are flung off in sparkling fragments, like oddly-shaped bits of sea-glass waiting to be found. 

Here's one I found today, buried in a neglected corner of my 'documents' folder:
 
I’d like to live alone
To do the things I like
  ___ unknown
Eat breakfast food at night

I’d like to live alone
To be all by myself
A solitary gnome
A cheerful woodland elf
  
Actually, today I'm very happy living with others.  And yet I like this unfinished little poem.  

I don't believe that anything else needs to be "done" with it.  It doesn't need to be developed or turned into a larger work.  In time (perhaps soon) the file will be deleted.  

In the meantime,  perhaps for only a short time and while I am completely alone, I can pick up a fragment and appreciate it.


1 comment:

JUST. said...

I'd have to agree. I am constantly writing little things here and there and then one day I will just be stuck and start clicking around my folders and find something that I've written a while ago and then try and work with it -- sometimes it doesn't work out - but other times it does. It's very true that if you work on something and then leave it but then come back in a different mind set different space - you bring a different feeling.