Monday, May 02, 2011

Write the Song You Need

I remember talking to another songwriter who said, "I don't want to write songs that will only be played in my bedroom!"

I know what she meant.  She wanted to write songs that were high-quality enough, other people would benefit from them, too.   We all want to do that.

But we have to meet our own needs first.  (It's like donning your own mask first when the aircraft suddenly depressurizes.)

Taking this approach can have big benefits down the road. 

This morning, as I started a new job, I had a few minutes to spare.  What to do?  Pray?  Meditate?  Fuss with my hair?

Suddenly I knew that the best thing I could do was to play one particular song.  It was the song I needed when I wrote it...and I needed it now.  I'm sure that in the years to come, I'll need it again.    (As it happens, it's also one of my most "commercially successful" songs...which is to say it's made some money and has been appreciated by many people.)

The point is: you matter.

When you open yourself up to the song you need (as opposed to the song you want or the song you think will impress others) the Creative Power is invited in.

Your own needs get met...and sometimes your song meets the needs of others, too.

Even if it doesn't, you will be strengthened by your song, so that you can serve the world in ways you may never have imagined.

No comments: