Friday, February 20, 2015

Write a song worthy of your love

In my email inbox today, I found a stirring call to action. 

"Write an explosive pop hit!" was the challenge issued by my local songwriters' association.

In a way, it came at just the right time.  Over the last few months, I've been writing a grad school thesis on the spiritual dimensions of contemporary songwriting.

Writing "an explosive pop hit!" isn't one of those dimensions.

Ever since I started writing songs at age 12, I've been convinced that songwriting is a primarily spiritual activity--not a materialistic one. 

Each time I write a song, I am reminded of the beauty and grace inherently found in all music, and in the creativity that takes place continually, in every aspect of life experience.

Each time I write a song, I am challenged to look deep within myself, to embrace what is authentic and life-giving--and to let go of everything that does not serve the song.

When I approach songwriting in this way, I find that I am more awake and honest. 
I'm more accepting of life, with all its imperfections. 

I hope I'm a little more humble, a little more kind.

When I see songwriting as a primarily spiritual task, rather than a commercial one, the emerging song can help me grow and mature. 

Not only as a songwriter..but as a human being.  

The task in front of us is not to write "an explosive pop hit"...

But to write a song worthy of our love. 









No comments: