Saturday, July 09, 2005

Connections

On Friday afternoon, I found myself on the subway after all, not as a player but as a passenger.

Coming through Pape Station, I met a musician I'd never seen on the system before: a well-dressed man about my age with a guitar. I made a donation, we introduced ourselves and confirmed that we're each planning to re-audition.

As my daughter and I continued on to visit friends across town, I kept thinking, "where have I heard his name before?"

Later, over a cup of tea as our daughters played, my friend told me a story about a musician she knew who'd lent her a guitar for a period of time but had recently needed it back.

The same man.

+++

Later, I e-mailed him this story, and he responded that when he went home from Pape Station the next day, he ran into two people he rarely saw.

My friend and her daughter.

No comments: