Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Fanfare

The relentless wind at Pape Station turns out to be a blessing on hot summer days.

The grandfatherly East Indian man at the Gateway concession booth took a few breaks to leave his post and stand in the corridor to take advantage of the breeze. Fortunately, the busking area is positioned directly in the path of the wind, as if I have my own personal fan.

Fan! Ha!

The wind at Pape Station, which I've written about many times before, comes and goes at random and unpredictable times. Sometimes it just about knocks me over with its force. Then I might not notice it again for more than an hour.

Other fans also make themselves known when I least expect them. I might not even know I have a "fan"--someone who has been listening and appreciating what I do, until they let me know. When this happens (as it did today on street level, many blocks away from the subway) I feel overwhelmed with gratitude, as I feel when a cool breeze hits me on the hottest summer day.

(1:25 - 3:00 p.m., $28.32)

No comments: