Sunday, October 30, 2005

I'm still here

Today I received two letters from friends who mentioned that they're still checking my blog...and meanwhile I haven't been posting very regularly. Well, here I am again. Thanks for reading!

Here's an update on my recent news. My third CD, called "Broadview", is now in manufacturing (whew!) and will be ready in about three weeks. I'm very proud of this collection of songs, all of which have been sung on the subway...and in other venues too of course.

The name of the CD refers to the subway station (there's a song called "Luminous Veil" on the record, paying tribute to the safety barrier on the Prince Edward Viaduct, and "Music Everywhere" which was inspired by the three-note "doors closing" signal) but it's also a way of saying "long-term perspective" and also, the "view" of one "broad" (which is to say, me). I'm very excited to be having the CD release party in the vestibule of Broadview station on...wait a sec, bad idea, middle of winter...never mind. The concert will be at Hugh's Room on Thursday, January 12th.

A few weeks ago, I mentioned in the blog that I was planning to pitch a few articles around. One article, which I started as a blog posting but then completed off-line and submitted, will appear as a Globe & Mail "Facts & Arguments" piece in the next few days or weeks. Another one, which was written a few months ago, will be published in the next issue of the Songwriters Association of Canada magazine. Coincidentally, a few other (paying!) writing jobs have come my way, which have kept me busier than usual. Also, I've been completing the book project based on my first year of subway busking. There's been lots of writing going on, but less blogging (and singing too).

But as you know, if you've been reading regularly, the regular singing (and writing) has helped me stay sane and creatively energized since this project began. So I'm sticking to it.

You may notice some changes soon. I'm planning to renovate the blog a little, to allow for the more natural inclusion of essays on a variety of topics. Chances are, most of them will have something to do with creativity, artistic expression and popular culture. (But don't worry, I'll still be busking. Tomorrow morning I'm planning to go out--though I'm a bit out of practice, so I'm not sure have the nerve for Bloor & Yonge, where I'm scheduled!)

More to come...and thanks again for reading.

No comments: