Friday, February 03, 2006

Quote-O-Rama

I recently read a quote, or "blurb", which praised an artist I know very highly.

Upon reading it, I immediately experienced a wave of negative emotions, much like an allergic reaction.

I felt jealousy, competitiveness, unjustified anger (at both the artist and the person who praised her), insecurity ("why didn't this person give me a quote?") and confusion ("what should I do next?").

In the game of self-promotion, many artists are chasing blurb-quotes as visible markers of validation. "Look, I AM good! So-and-so, who's a somebody, says so!"

I use the blurbs myself, in the hope that they might positively influence others and enhance my career prospects.

But when I think about it, I realize that as an artist I'm trying to reach a wide range of people (not particularly other musicians or media professionals). And, in life, I want to respect all people equally, not just those with professional status.

So, why not use the words of praise I received from the firefighter, the bookseller, the teacher, the author, the cook? For that matter, are titles necessary? Why not simply credit Bob or Sue, or dispense with review blurbs altogether?

Even though I question the importance of the quote-o-rama ritual, I find I'm not quite ready to give up the illusion of prestige I receive from those "somebodies".

It would feel like a leap of faith to stop using those blurbs (I notice, too, that I use the word "using", which describes other unhealthy addictions)...to rely instead on the integrity of the work and the real-time experience of communication with an audience.

No comments: