Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Tribute Project

It all started with Neil Young.

We went to see the movie "Heart of Gold" and bought "Prairie Wind", the CD that goes along with it. Meanwhile, I read a long interview with Neil Young in Performing Songwriter magazine, in which he describes his writing process and his life as a songwriter.

It occurred to me that even though he's in his 60s and a man and a big name, our lives as artists are very similar. This idea became the start of a song called "We Come From the Same Place" which also refers to our shared hometown of Winnipeg, Manitoba.

I wrote the song, on purpose, in a Neil Young-ish style (I could even add a little musical reference to the song "Heart of Gold" at the end if I liked). I used slightly altered basic chords, straightforward song structure, a singalong melody, strumming. The song turned out well. I was excited about writing it and eager to sing it. (It elbowed several other songs I was working on off to the side for the time being.)

And then, in the middle of finishing the song, I had an "ahah!" idea.

I could write a whole series of songs inspired by songwriters...the ones who inspired me.

This idea really turned me on. First, I like writing "on assignment". It narrows my focus immediately and gives me a bunch of ideas right away. (When I write songs solely out of my own inspiration, I try to establish the frame quickly too.) Second, I liked the idea of using songwriters themselves as subject matter--as inspiring, in their own way, as rocks and trees.

I also liked the fact that the assignment would be difficult. Would I be able to write songs that stood on their own and were not cheap imitations of the Inspiring Artist's? Could I reflect on their effect on me without being maudlin? Could I write songs that would resonate with people who are not themselves artists? Did I have enough ability, myself, to refer to such a range of styles...and to write songs that I would want to sing, apart from the project? Could I keep my own voice, while paying tribute to the voices of others?

Sure, why not! I plunged ahead.

I quickly made a list of Canadian songwriters. (Not only did I want to narrow the field--we now eliminate The Beatles, Bob Dylan, James Taylor--I also had the vague and optimistic idea that I might be able to attract government funding.) I limited it to songwriters who, I feel, have genuinely influenced my own work.

Here's the list I came up with (in no particular order).

Neil Young (might as well put him first)
Bruce Cockburn
Joni Mitchell
Jane Siberry
Ron Sexsmith
Shirley Eikhard
Leonard Cohen
Alanis Morrissette
Fred Eaglesmith
Gordon Lightfoot
kd lang

There are a few "dark horses" too...not officially on the list but still in the running. They'd be Jann Arden, Burton Cummings &/or Randy Bachman, The Barenaked Ladies, Sylvia Tyson, Raffi. (And there's the possibility that I've left somebody out...if you think of anyone, let me know.)

So, that's it. The project is underway. Two songs have been written so far!

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: