Wednesday, October 29, 2008

In Tune and In Community



Is it possible for me to stay "in tune" at a busy music conference attended by hundreds of people?

Last weekend I checked in on that question again, after side-stepping it for the past few years by simply not attending. I couldn't help thinking of Ray Davies' comment that all performers are introverts as I joined with so many others gathering in the halls, having animated spontaneous conversations and eagerly giving out promo materials.

I kept pace pretty well, but felt a bit relieved that I had only one song to sing. (Here I am, singing it! Many thanks to Shirley Gibson for the photo.) Later, another musician pointed out something that I hadn't fully realized: "Bicycle Bell" is, itself, an affirmation of the "smaller voices" we hear, both in the world and inside ourselves. In the song, I affirm their potential to make positive changes...and yet, in life, I still find myself conflicted.

Did I want to stay up to participate in late-night showcases? No. But did I want to appear as though I was part of the crowd? Yes. Did I want to follow my own star, and express my own truth? Yes. But did I also want to fit in? Yep, that too.

Being an artist provides an opportunity to become aware of our sometimes opposing needs: to distinguish ourselves with our unique vision while also belonging to a larger whole.

Perhaps the thing that can bring both of these needs in tune with each other is the concept of community. If I stay in tune with my inner voice--even at those times when I feel out of step with the majority--I strengthen community by making it more inclusive and diversified.

As Parker Palmer writes in his book "Let Your Life Speak","When we live in the close-knit ecosystem called community, everyone follows and everyone leads."

Thank you to the Ontario Council of Folk Festivals for recognizing "Bicycle Bell" as a Songs From the Heart winner this year in the political category; for hosting a complex and multi-layered conference every year; and for seeking to build community with music and among musicians and presenters.

No comments: