Friday, November 12, 2004

1st Non-Subway Show

Tonight I'm in Winnipeg, after playing the first of two concerts at local churches. They're the first full-evening shows I've done since I started playing in the subway.

I had anticipated that my busking would affect my "official" performances in interesting ways. The first change I noticed was that my rehearsal time, to prepare for the shows, was streamlined. Because I previously played only a couple of shows a month, I had to work pretty hard to get an entire evening's material up to speed. No more! As I began to prepare for this weekend's performances, I realized that I had some forty songs well-memorized and rehearsed. I even remembered what key I played them all in.

What wasn't up-to-speed, however, was patter--the between-song banter that touring performers (the ones that play hundreds of dates per year) are so good at. My idols, the Canadian alt-country songwriter Fred Eaglesmithand American folksinger Cheryl Wheeler, are so funny between songs they could legitimately have careers in stand-up comedy.

On the subway, of course, I don't have to say anything between songs. I don't even have to finish songs.

Predictably, my patter was a little rough around the edges last night. I'd start funny little stories and realize, mid-anecdote, that I didn't have a snappy ending. (O-kaaaay...back to singing!) The audience, though, was warm and appreciative. So warm and appreciative, I found it a little unsettling.

No stranger to what¹s called "imposter syndrome", I have at many times in my life felt as if I was faking it.

I felt like that when I was working as a comedy writer. I felt like that when I was working as a screenwriter. And I felt like that tonight, even though my songs sounded stronger than ever.
I made fewer mistakes than usual on the guitar and recovered from any glitches a lot more smoothly. Same went for lyrics. In one song ( "Stage") I sang verse three instead of verse two, but realized quickly enough to sing the missed verse the next time around (with no eye-rolling, grimace or self-deprecating explanation, either). My voice was in great shape and I sang well and tried to enjoy the fact that one hundred people were sitting in their seats and looking straight at me and listening to every word I sang and noticing what I was doing with my guitar and I wonder what they're thinking for instance that man over there doesn¹t seem to be enjoying it but the lady next to my mother is smiling and how many people are here anyway and I wonder if I should sing two more songs before the break or three and did I put lipstick on before going onstage and...aaaiiiiieeeeeee!!

At one point, it crossed my mind that I might not be able to handle the pressure and might have to actually leave the stage.

Despite this loud and irritating inner dialogue, I managed to keep singing.

Since I started playing on the subway, I've gotten used to an amazing amount of background noise. If the audience isn't making it, looks like I'm capable of creating it myself.


No comments: