Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Next Stop Subject to Change

Today I'm off to Yorkdale: a large stop connected to a big affluent shopping mall. It'll be my first time busking in nine days. I can't wait to get back to it.

I had intended to go on Tuesday, but Calla was home from school with a bad cough...and yesterday I was on school lunch duty plus I had freelance writing work to do for a small advertising company.

My time is always parceled out in little chunks. Little chunks...oh, that reminds me, I must stop by Lewiscraft craft supply store in Yorkdale Mall to buy stuffing for the pillow-making project in Calla's class. And I must stop at bank machine to avoid paying for it entirely in coins.

Last month I posted my subway schedule on my website, as accurately as I could, with the caveat that "all times are subject to change". I suddenly realize that's actually quite a clever pun that I didn't recognize when I wrote it. And it's turned out to be true: all times I've shown up on the subway have been subject to change--and sometimes in large quantities.

But back to what I meant the first time: "all times are subject to be changed as my schedule changes." Truth was, my schedule kept changing so often, I couldn't keep it updated and a few people came by to see me and were disappointed. (Sorry, Ken, Eva and Jim!) So, given the chaotic and unpredictable nature of my life, I figure I should keep my ever-changing schedule to myself.

In some ways, I feel a bit envious of John, whose personal schedule is so free he can actually spend 8 hours a day playing cover tunes on the subway system. And then I hesitate to even express that thought: after all, I'm in the enviable position of having a family, a husband who works (though that too can change, and not for the better, at any moment as we've discovered through several layoffs, and his current contract only runs until March), a house and ways other than busking of making money (such as a few small advertising jobs I'm procrastinating on as I write this).

So far, I don't have to work the subway for a living. But all things could change.

No comments: