Friday, February 02, 2007

The Cure

This week was going to be tough for writing a song. My husband's grandmother, whom we dearly loved, died on Monday. We had the visitation and the funeral to deal with, and much of the week seemed to be covered over by a heavy blanket of loss.

I thought it might be impossible for me to write my weekly song, so I notified the producer who naturally let me off the hook.

Still, it nagged at me. Would I feel better NOT writing a song...or writing a song?

One of the topics this week was Emily Carr, the Canadian painter (d. 1945) known for dramatic depictions of the British Columbia wilderness and the art of the Haida First Nation. The Art Gallery of Ontario will host a retrospective exhibition of her work in March. I have always found her art and her life story inspiring. At one point, her art career was so unsuccessful she dropped painting altogether for 15 years and worked at a series of unrelated jobs. Lawren Harris of the Group of Seven encouraged her and she resumed painting and finally did receive critical recognition...but for many years she had to contend with doubt, failure and isolation. Despite this, or more likely because of it, her paintings have a powerful spiritual dimension, reflecting her fierce determination to share her passion for the land with others.

I figured I could write a song about that, so I started one called "Emily in the Big Woods".

But it couldn't be finished by Friday. Wrestling with the subject, I found inspiration in Emily Carr's writing too. (She wrote many books and constantly reflected on her creative life. She would have been a blogger.) "I thought my mountain was coming this morning. It was near to speaking when suddenly it shifted, sulked, and returned to smallness. It has eluded me again and sits there, puny and dull. Why? " So. She would understand that some subjects take more time than others.

Oregano, on the other hand, works fast.

Oregano, or oregano oil to be more precise, is a natural cure-all that probably is very good for you. I've never tried it...but I sure do like my Cold-FX. Oregano oil promises to do much the same thing...boost the immune system...ward off colds and flues.

The word "oregano" rhymes with lots of fun things, I discovered. And it was time for a fun song.

After many drafts, I ended up assembling the song while watching Calla's swimming lesson yesterday night. As always, the feeling of satisfaction was huge when I finally slotted all the rhyming couplets into their correct order, to form a song exactly 3:00 in length. It feels like solving a Rubik's cube or a crossword puzzle (neither of which I can do).

Oregano lifted the blanket of woe that had fallen over our week. Listen!

3 comments:

Catharine said...

I think this link is broken, and I am just dying to share this song with a friend who's taking oil of oregano. Is it on one of your CDs?

Lynn Harrison said...

Hi Catharine,

I just fixed the link...thanks for the heads-up!

Also, an update... When I wrote the song I had just heard about it and hadn't actually TRIED it. When I did, I found it really worked well for me...so now when I sing the song (as recently as last night) I sing an updated version that is a wholehearted endorsement of Oil of Oregano, ie "this is not a placebo/ placebo, no, no, no, no!"

Best wishes to you and your friend!

Catharine said...

Love it! Thanks, Lynn!