Friday, October 28, 2011

Suspending Judgment

Yesterday I wrote a new song, during (and in response to) a day when I felt tired and slightly depressed.  By the time the first-draft stage was complete (the essential structure and melody in place, the chorus and most of the verses written, fine-tuning to come) it was the end of the day and I was tired.

Last night, when I went out to play, I told a songwriter friend about my new song.  I added casually "but I think it might be crappy".

My friend told me to shape up.  He reminded me how damaging it can be to say negative things about myself or my work, especially at the fragile early stage.  He said it's not for me to judge, and that for my own sake and the well-being of those around me, I needed to stay open and positive.

The truth was, at that moment I had no idea whether the song was "good" or not.  And yet, I felt compelled to to make a  pronouncement.  I have a tendency to judge.  Is it "good" or "bad"..."right" or "wrong"..."this" kind of song or "that" one?

My friend reminded me that judging isn't always necessary. 

Yesterday afternoon, I felt tired and over-saturated.  My state-of-mind coloured my perception of my work. 

This morning, I played the song again...and loved it.

No comments: