Monday, February 28, 2005

Call and Response

I received a response to my "Mind the Gap" post from a friend in Switzerland. Like me, she's a writer and musician. These days she's working as a church deacon, and in that role, she's frequently called to engage in personal discussions with parishioners.

She wrote that in those conversations, she's continually trying to discern what is authentic and what is not (as I'm trying to do in my songwriting and performance). At the same time, she's seeking to clarify which ideas and emotions originate with her, which come from the other person, and which spring from some higher source. She writes:

"The more I'm in touch with that creative source, the more my words resonate with the person who hears them. It's a funny balance between consciously honing my skills at using my physical being, and learning to trust in something that is within me but that is greater than the sum of my parts."

This reminds me of another phenomenon I've noticed when I'm playing in public and also when I'm recording. More often than not, not thinking about doing something well or correctly produces a better response...a letting go or surrendering of control is necessary in order to make something truly beautiful.

My friend mentioned that she's recently discovered photo blogs--something new to me--and told me that in that medium, it's fascinating to watch the artist's true or authentic voice emerge over time in the progression of photos.

I wonder whether simply through the act of putting the images and ideas "out there" into the world, one invites a stronger or clearer response than if the creative work is done in private.

My instinct and my recent experience tells me that it does. When I'm creatively engaged with the world, I feel more deeply connected to all people (not just the ones who actively "say something" or "give something" to me) and I am more in tune with my purpose, my values and my spiritual beliefs.

I appreciate the reminder that creative, intentional expression (in any form) is a kind of conversation--with ourselves, our communities and our Higher Power.

+++

Another interesting response to that recent posting:

It was suggested that perhaps "recording facilitator" may be a less intimidating title than "producer" (though I'd have to add "brilliant bass player and accompanist" to the mix).

This playing with titles is an interesting concept.

Instead of "subway musician", how about "public space soundtrack artist"?


No comments: