Friday, February 25, 2005

Grace Notes

Here's a treat Dave discovered that we think you'll enjoy. It's a short film made by a guy who decides to listen to one song continuously for a four-hour car trip. The song he chooses is "Dancing Queen" by Abba. 'Nuff said.

+++

I just got back from another songwriting workshop. This group of young songwriters was so enthusiastic, they couldn't help but writing lyrics even when I was singing or speaking. This is fine with me...in fact, I often find myself compelled to write lyrics when I'm watching another performer. I once wrote so much during a Lucinda Williams concert, another audience member asked me if I was a reviewer.

This group of 12 and 13 year-old students was devoted to love songs, and their new songs were at times achingly personal. I felt it was a privilege to be invited in, to listen to their first songs.

Just like at the last school, the group was led by a kind and intelligent teacher who, also, is a songwriter. After the workshop, he and I talked briefly about the challenges of balancing a day job (and other responsibilities, such as family) with an artistic life. I didn't mention that just yesterday, I found myself having a little fantasy...that I could go to teacher's college and find myself on a stable career path within a few years.

+++

Another aside: I'm listening now to Joni Mitchell's recent "best of" collection: "Dreamland" . Although I own most of the original records (on vinyl, and no turntable in our house seems to be working) it's great to have these particular songs collected in the same place. The package also includes a generous collection of her paintings, which I find inspiring and which illuminate her life story with power and grace.

+++

Have a great weekend.

No comments: