Friday, January 07, 2005

Pete Seeger!

He was the guy who wrote "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?", which I mistakenly attributed to Bob Dylan in a previous post. You see, I had one of those brain-freeze events when the passer-by asked me to play something by Joan Baez.

My brain said (while I smiled at the nice stranger) "Busking Emergency!! Access 60s Folksinger File, pronto!...and remember the chords while you're at it, will you?"

Somehow "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" was in the same file as "Blowing In the Wind". This makes sense, because I was a small child in the 60s, and I always imagined that the flowers were blowing in the wind and that's why they were gone.

+++
But that still doesn't answer the question, what songs did Joan Baez actually write?

I have no idea, so I go to her website.

And I'm laughing out loud. At the top of the long list of songs is one called "All the Weary Mothers of the Earth".

+++

Thanks to two eagle-eyed readers who spotted the inaccuracy. Now I must fly, because I'm learning how to play the great song "Hallelujah" by Gordon Lightfoot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn - just taking a quick look. I didn't know I needed a blogname or password - i'll consider it for future.
JBaez wrote "Diamonds and Rust" about Bob D. Dont know what else she wrote that's memorable... nothing I can remember.
L.Cohen wrote "Hallelujah" - is there another one?
"Where Have All the Flowers Gone" still holds up extremely well. I think it's a great song.
Is any of this helpful? CHeers, Howard G.