Sunday, January 30, 2005

Stop me if I've posted this before...

The other day I was having lunch with a friend of mine. He's a devoted fan of my blog.

(And yes, he enjoys my music as well.)

Anyway, we were talking about this new form of communication, and I was telling him about Anita, the children's book author in Winnipeg, whom I met in the blogosphere. Even as I was telling the story, I was vaguely aware that I was using pretty much the same language in person as I did in the blog.

My friend was listening politely and nodding and smiling, when it suddenly dawned on me.

He already knows about Anita.

"You already know this," I said. "You read it in the blog."

He nodded.

"But that's okay," he insisted cheerfully. "It's fun to hear you tell the story in person."

I realized that all the interesting anecdotes I would normally tell my friends are being poured into this new medium.

Would it eventually make my friendships obsolete?

Another friend told me recently that she feels as if she talks to me every day. That's why she hasn't called me lately.

Surely, this is bad. Then again, maybe it's a way of simplifying my life.

1 comment:

Anita Daher said...

Oh, hello! I knew my ears must be burning for a reason ;-)

Lynn, I experience this very same thing far too often. I went for coffee one day with a woman who I would get together with only once in a while, but who read my blog daily. All of my news she already knew. Then, as I am naturally absentminded (I blame it on aging), I'd forget whether I'd blogged about something. Instead of asking her if I'd already mentioned something, I began asking if I'd already written about it. It was a strange feeling.

The blog is a great way for my friends and family to keep up with my life, though. I had a friend email recently and say "I know what's going on in your life because I read your blog, but I sometimes forget you don't know what is going on in mine." So true.

But then there are those friends who blog. Every day I catch up on their news, just as they catch up on mine. Except for leaving the occasional comment, we don't feel a need to communicate more directly. Not often, anyhow. It could be that we are losing our connection...or perhaps it is stronger, only silent. I'm not sure. Hmmm.

I do know I am very happy to have "met" you!

All the best,
Anita