Monday, January 17, 2005

Unless You Have To

Today it’s too cold to sing in the subways, unless you have to.

Unless you have to for money, that is.

I don’t have to.

So I don’t.

On the other hand, I notice that as the day goes by, I start to feel more and more "down": flat and bored and tired. So tired, in fact, that at 3:15 I lie down and take a nap.

I know about this. When I’m not singing, I’m depressed.

True, it’s about minus 20 or so today and it’s the middle of January. We’re still numb and reeling from the tsunami tragedy (I watched Nate Berkus describe his ordeal on "Oprah" today) and I’m still trying to get back in gear after the Christmas holidays. The heaviness and fatigue I’m feeling could be nothing more than all of that.

But when I sing, I feel better. When I write songs, I feel better.

The longer I go without either of these, I feel worse.

Funny thing is, I played five songs last night at a Songwriter’s Circle at a pub in the northern end of the city. I felt perfectly fine then.

That was almost 24 hours ago.

Maybe I do have to.

+++

But why?


2 comments:

Anita Daher said...

I know what you mean, Lynn. When I go for a stretch of time without writing I begin to feel fidgety. I can't concentrate. The only thing that settles-thrills-feeds is to stop procrastinating (in my case) and begin writing.

Warmer weather is on the way...supposed to be -2 in Winnipeg today.
Anita

Anonymous said...

I wanted to share something I read recently. It was comparing Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, both 49. Steve had been kicked out of Apple for 12 years but came back and "invented" the iMac series (remember those translucent blue and orange orbs). Likewise Bill Gates realigned his title recently so that he is not Microsoft's "chief executive officer" or "chairman" but instead is Microsoft's "chief software architect". Two men, both worth billions, wanting to be understood as "creative." Hmmmmm - Dave