Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Pape Station - Post Victoria Day

Today I returned to Pape Station, hoping that the construction noise wouldn't be as bad as last time.

It turned out to be blessedly quiet there today, except for one brief burst of circular-sawing which seemed almost apologetic in the way it started up and then suddenly stopped.

The most unusual thing that happened today were things that had happened before. In less than two hours, I met six people whom I'd met at Pape on other days, and I started to have a weird feeling of deja vu, as if I were trapped in a bizarre time loop of subway travel. Some of the people passed by on their way to somewhere, and then passed by again on their way back. (When they've said hi to me once, they don't know whether or not to say hi again, and neither do I. Smiling is good, I find.)

At one point, I was getting so used to seeing familiar faces, I confidently said "hello" to a guy coming up the stairs...and then realized we hadn't met before at all. (Oops...now will he avoid this station because of the insane busker lady?)

+++++++

This afternoon I saw several parents and children. Sometimes I make a point of singing "Stroller Up The Hill" when I see family groups go by, but they usually aren't listening carefully enough to hear the lyrics, and I just end up feeling silly singing about strollers for everybody else.

Today the families I saw seemed too busy (or too loaded up with shopping bags and babies) to offer anything but a smile.

But one little girl, about five years old, noticed that a penny was lying on the floor just outside my guitar case. It had been there for most of my performance.

She stopped, very carefully picked up the penny, and dropped it into my case.

($39.41)

No comments: