Friday, November 18, 2005

Friday Matinee

In Toronto Life magazine (I think, if memory serves), there's a feature that appears regularly called something like "The Perfect Day". In it, local celebrities describe what they'd do if they had all the time and the money in the world. Usually they end up spending, oh,$35,000 in their mind...imagining buying lots of expensive stuff and going to interesting hipster places. I could never do a piece like that; I wouldn't know any of the cool spots my imaginary self was supposed to go, and I probably couldn't bring myself to spend large amounts of even imaginary money.

Today I had the perfect day though. I sang at Dundas Station for a couple of hours in the morning (earning $43.50) and took myself out to the Rainbow Cinema at Market Square for the 1:00 p.m. showing of "Walk the Line" (a $4.50 matinee). Lunch was excellent: a small bag of popcorn, a cranberry juice, and a bag of peanut M&Ms.

(A word, before I review the film, about the Rainbow Cinemas. Sure, the screens are small, but they're made up for by the big heart of the place. I enjoyed the slightly goofy advertisements before the show--they have the feeling of being produced at home on a graphics program that's missing a few fonts--and I really appreciated the uncommon friendliness of the staff. Interspersed with community-business advertising before the show, there are inspiring words of wisdom up on screen. Here's one I remember: "Time flies, but remember, you are the navigator." This movie theatre hosts "Movies for Mommies" where parents can bring babies...and during the Christmas season there will be free-with-$2-donation movies at 11:00 a.m. on weekends. Plus, the work of a local painter, Fred Harrison, adorns the lobby. Five stars.)

So, you have to go see "Walk the Line"! Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon are terrific as Johnny Cash and June Carter. I was watching, of course, to see how well their musical performances came across (Phoenix learned to play guitar and sing for the role). They're completely believable (more so than "Elvis Presley") and their onscreen and onstage chemistry is wonderful to behold. Critics may say that the film isn't as dark as it might have been (Cash's drug addiction is a big part of the story) but that may be because the love story is the main event here, that and the music. One of my favourite scenes is Cash's almost disastrous audition for Sam Phillips of Sun Records. Phillips is cold and dismissive...the audition jury from hell...but he motivates John to sing honest songs instead of nice politically-correct ones.

Other cool facts: Shooter Jennings plays his dad Waylon in the film...John Carter Cash (June & John's son) Executive Produced the film, Johnny Cash reportedly chose Joaquin Phoenix for the role. Also watch for singer Shelby Lynne as John's mother and appreciate the terrific job done by T-Bone Burnett as Music Director. Highly recommended.

No comments: