Wednesday, November 23, 2005

What song would you sing?

In the movie "Walk the Line", Sam Phillips of Sun Records challenges the auditioning John R. Cash by asking him with a sneer: "If you only had one song to sing to be remembered by, what would you sing?"

I've thought of that question before. In fact, I tried to write a song about that question a year ago, but although I finished the song, I've never sung it in public. I like the song, now that I think of it. And I see the dodge in it, too: it's one thing to recognize the question and quite another to answer it.

The other night I went to an open mic where each songwriter played two songs. Many good performers were there, including a writer I've heard maybe ten times. Many of those times, she's played one particular song. It's wise and likeable and memorable (as she is). And because the song reveals a lot about her life and worldview, it's helped me get to know her...or feel I do...in a relatively short period of time.

Meanwhile, at the same open mic, I played two brand new songs: one that had just been finished that afternoon. I like art forms that can be completed and shared spontaneously...little sketches and essays and songs. Some of the songs I might never sing again...and there's nothing wrong with that. They have a short expiration date, but that doesn't mean they're not nourishing and tasty at the time.

Still, it's worth shooting for that one song.

When I know that people are going to hear me only briefly, I do choose my song more deliberately. As an artist, it's helpful for me to take note of which songs come up over and over. What do they say? What are they reaching for? What's absent in the songs I don't want to sing again? Or what am I uncomfortable about and unwilling to share?

In those moments when I have one song left, before I'm about to pack up and go home, I notice myself reaching for that one song. No matter which one I choose, there's a little voice in the back of my mind that wonders if there's another one.

I'm still trying to find that song by writing it, and that's why I'm still a songwriter.

No comments: