Monday, November 28, 2005

Out of the Box

A few days ago, I took delivery of several large cardboard boxes of new CDs. Inside, there are many shiny cellophane-wrapped copies of "Broadview", my latest collection of recorded songs. Inside each jewel case, there's an even more shiny thing, the disc itself.

Embedded in the shiny discs is the digital information that makes up recorded music...the science that allows people to play someone else's song in their home or car.

And deep inside each song is the shiniest thing of all: the desire to share an emotion, or to describe something beautiful or meaningful...the urge to write it down, to tell someone, to capture it.

As soon as it's "captured", we see how elusive it is: I look at the boxes in my living room and I think, that's not shiny. That's just big and heavy and challenging: inventory that must be moved.

So today, I spent most of the day addressing envelopes, sending CDs flying around the world, moving them in the hope that they will move people in turn, and that the shiny new songs of others will find their way back to me.

No comments: