Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Maybe your songs know the way

I just read another on-target blog by Derek Sivers, the indie music guru and founder of CD Baby. Today his thought-provoking article is called "Listen to my music and let me know what I should do."

It reminded me of something a friend told me years ago (no doubt when I was puzzling over what I should do).

She said: "All you have to do is listen to your songs."

To clarify: I don't think she meant that anybody else should listen to my songs to figure out their personal direction. She just meant that I should.

She was reminding me to look within to find direction, to trust my inner voice.

If you're a songwriter, chances are your inner voice will step out from time to time, onto a stage or onto a CD. (It can hide in those places too...and false selves do love the limelight. Maybe the inner voice is in a notebook, or a dream.)

When we tune into our inner wisdom, we'll be able to create work that's authentic and meaningful more often...and if we maintain our connection to that true voice within, we'll be able to more easily recognize an authentic path and follow it.

We'll be able to figure out what we're called to do next...

Without asking Derek Sivers.

No comments: