Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Songs as Seeds

Right now, a number of my friends are job-hunting. At the same time, I've been seeking good homes for my songs. We've all been surveying the landscape, bravely seeking out new opportunities.

Meanwhile, I've been gardening.

If I think of songs as seeds, I notice that the more I share them (releasing them freely into the world without expectation) the more chance they have to take root and do some good.

Of course, sometimes they fall in places that can't nourish them, just as many perfectly good seeds land on concrete every summer day.

But at other times, and often when I least expect it, a song-seed will find its way to fertile ground and immediately bear fruit! Just the other day, for instance, I came upon a perfect new place to play, a ten-minute walk from my home. A welcome patch of green.

I'm a big fan of local gardens, but it's also amazing how far the gusty wind of the internet can carry a song. Write something original and truthful and beautiful, and you're likely to get an unexpected thank-you from thousands of miles away.

Who knows where these seeds will grow?

No comments: