Sunday, July 26, 2009

Picky, picky, picky

I wrote a song over the weekend and it's almost finished.

But I'm still fiddling with one line. It's an important line, right at the end of the song--and ideally it will sum up the point of the whole piece.

No wonder I'm being so picky.

I think it's worth going to this extra effort, to make sure the song is exactly right. Whenever I settle for something that's "close enough", I never shake off that unsatisfied feeling.

The truth is, I really care about what I say to my audience. I don't want to say something I don't mean (or something that doesn't make sense) so I work hard to be as precise as I can.

Sometimes it's really maddening process, because the precise words aren't quite conversational or don't fit the rhyme.

Sometimes I have to rewrite an entire verse to get it right.

I've read that Leonard Cohen has pages of unused verses for many of his songs. Needless to say, even his discarded lyrics are probably better than anything I've ever written.

His perfectionism may be extreme...but having high standards is a good thing. As the old saying goes, "Shoot for the moon and you might land in the stars."

When I feel a niggling feeling of dissatisfaction, sometimes I do shrug it off...but sometimes I ask myself, "What would Leonard do?"

And then I take another look at that verse.

1 comment:

Marcia M said...

I write poetry and I know exactly what you mean by trying to make your work perfect. It's all about getting people to feel the words, to understand and can associate with the story you tell. And yes your writing is never done...we keep going back to make it right.
One line that is deleted can become another song/poem.
I love Leonard Cohen. I think he is a great poet/song writer. His words are so deep,it leaves you thinking "How did he come up with this line?" I find him very entertaining. (not a bore).
I wish you all the best with your writing and singing career.If you continue to keep your eyes on Leonard, you will be the best at what you do.