Friday, May 06, 2005

I Would Recognize You Anywhere

(Pape Station - Saturday, May 6th - Immediately after St. Lawrence Market - 10:45 to 1 p.m. - $44.38)

Now that I've been playing on the subway for awhile, I'm getting the feeling that I've seen certain people before.

Occasionally people stop and introduce themselves, but more often, they walk by and throw in some change without stopping. Although everyone is distinctive when seen individually, the constant flow of faces eventually blends into one, and so it's hard to objectively judge whether I've "met" someone more than once.

It feels sad, in a way, to realize this...that I can't distinguish one person from another when they're moving so fast.

I see people in different seasons...different stations...different times of day. In December, she was bundled up in a winter coat but now she wears a sundress.

But sometimes I get a little flutter of recognition in my chest when someone walks by...a little zap of familiarity.

I get the feeling that certain people have donated to me more than once, but they're gone before I can confirm it.

I remember the feeling I had, years ago when I used to ride the subways going to work, when I hoped--and feared a little bit too--that a familiar busker might be playing in the corridor just up ahead.

There was a moment of anticipation, and either pleasure or disappointment when the musician was, or wasn't, there. The fingered coin in the pocket is tossed into the air, or placed back in the pocket.

I understand now that people are likely crossing my path more than once. When they say hello as if they know me, I find myself pretending that I also do. And now I find myself meeting people who I've met in the subway, in other social situations.

We meet as if we're old friends.

+++++++++++

For some reason, "I Would Recognize You Anywhere" is proving to be tricky to get "right" when I'm recording it.

But it's easy to sing in the subway.

No comments: