Friday, May 27, 2005

The newspaper stand has left the building

Well, not exactly.

But it has moved back home to its proper place at Pape Station.

It moved while I was playing.

Looking ahead to a very busy weekend, I needed an infusion of subway energy. So I dashed up to Pape at 9:30, abandoning my to-do list and knowing that I'd have to be back by school lunch pick-up time.

I was greeted by a gleaming new Gateway Newstand, newly revealed and free of drywall construction barriers.

It's silver and pristine with a cheerful bright red sign. The kind and friendly family that runs the concession stand was hard at work, putting shelving back in place.

It hadn't occurred to me that they'd move the newspaper rack, the one that had been temporarily relocated to a space just beside the busking rectangle. I had become quite used to it just to my left, creating a nice little corner for my amp and knapsack. (One morning recently, it occurred to me that a potted plant would look nice on the shelves.)

When the two young men in the family came over to move the stand back into place, I was so surprised, I briefly forgot my lyrics.

Suddenly the humble little performance spot seemed positively huge.

+++

Also today, a man who works for Go Transit came up to me with a special gift.

A bag of donuts!

+++

And a footnote:

Our little white Honda (1990 Civic Wagon) has been retired. After several major repairs in a short time, and two expensive ones needed now, we realize it's reached the end of the road.

So at least until we buy another car, I'll be spending even more time on the TTC.

When I walk, I run...

($25.47)

No comments: