Friday, May 20, 2005

On a clear day you could sing forever

(Osgoode Station - 12:10 to 1:30 p.m. - $19.05)

Today I thought I was going to spend the day in my producer's basement recording studio, but we'd gotten our dates mixed up, so I ended up with a free day.

The weather is absolutely brilliant today, and as I drove back across town (looking forward to parking the car) I listened to DJ's jokingly telling listeners what excuses they should use if they want to take the day off. I figured it'd be a great day to busk, especially because it's the Friday before the long weekend and lots of people would be in a good mood.

I wondered if other buskers would have the same idea and if the best spots would be taken? Sure enough, Queen's Park was occupied by a young man playing "Girl From Ipanema" on his guitar. I headed to Osgoode, deciding to meet Dave for lunch after an hour of singing.

I was trading one underground music space (the studio) for another (the subway)...but it was a beautiful day and I was feeling very keen.

----------------------

We interrupt this blog for an important message.

I must leave this entry unfinished right now, but I wanted to let you know that tonight on CBC's The National, several other subway buskers (including Adam Solomon, whom I've mentioned in previous posts) will be featured in a feature length documentary. (Don't worry, I've just turned down the "jealousy" dial on my emotional amp...and I had more than enough attention with that newspaper article!)

Tune in later for more on Osgoode.


--------------------

We watched the show last night and really enjoyed it.

Adam Solomon spoke in his warmly understated, slightly amused way about the overpopulatedness of the local music scene and the resulting need for every musician to find their own path and solutions. Corin Raymond (whom I described briefly in my profile of Groovy Mondays several months ago) was cast as the aspiring star, who might one day step aside to give his busking space to another performer once he achieves greater success. And the classical duo Ilga and Indulis Suna were shown to be hardworking and accomplished musicians with a strong work ethic and commitment to family.

The musicians' descriptions of the joys of subway busking are consistent with mine (Corin's glee upon counting his change, for instance, and Adam's feeling of pride as he hands his business card to a new fan). Several musicians talked about the deep feeling of satisfaction they receive when they connect with a stranger through their music.

One thing that wasn't highlighted, though, was the inconsistent nature of donations...the fact that subway musicians completely dependent on voluntary giving and thus affected by factors beyond their control. (Yesterday, for instance, I wondered why cash donations were slow, even though I was receiving a higher-than-usual number of smiles and nods. Then I went above-ground and noticed four panhandlers and one other busker at the same intersection.)

No comments: