Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Still Under Construction

(Pape Station - 1:09 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. - $17.97)

When I arrived at Pape Station just after one o'clock, I saw that the newspaper display had been moved.

It was slightly off to one side of the performance space, giving me plenty of room. However, since my last visit, the overall amount of construction had increased. Drywall hoarding now extends the entire length of the exit corridors, and several workmen were climbing up and down ladders directly in front of me, working on something in the ceiling.

I wished I knew Joan Armatrading's song "Walk Under Ladders".

I said hello to the workmen and set up my little amp. One of them said he was looking forward to the concert.

Strangely, it took me several songs to realize that I was being accompanied this afternoon by a high-pitched circular saw. Why didn't I notice it sooner? Either I was admirably focused on my performance...or generally oblivious to my surroundings. Hard to say.

Anyway, I kept playing and singing because that's what I was there to do, trying as best I could to smile back at the bemused passers-by. Many of them wore an expression I recognized from my days of trying to busk in minus fifteen degree temperatures.

The expression is: "She has a very nice voice. And she's crazy."

Well, that being said, I still felt like singing. The people at Pape Station were generous today, as they always are. Plus, I'd already met an outgoing Finnish opera singer (who sang for me, the second person to do so at Pape) and as always I was curious to discover what the next few hours would bring.

I decided to sit back, relax, and wait for the background noise to go away.

I leaned up against the tiled wall and played an instrumental interlude.

A long instrumental interlude.

The saw kept sawing. (Or maybe it was a drill? I was suddenly reminded that I'm overdue for a dentist appointment.)

I decided to start singing again:

"We live in a music town, where songs survive deep underground, they weep through walls, they beat down doors..."

Yeah, right.

Somebody's beating down a door alright (maybe with a jackhammer?) but it ain't me, Babe.

Needless to say, if I'd had more time this afternoon, I'd have found a construction-free zone somewhere else on the subway system. No doubt that's where the experienced subway musicians are.

Tomorrow afternoon my scheduled spot is Jane.

That sounds quiet.

Before packing up, I decided to sing just one more song: "Room to Love".

"Give me empty space, don't want no noisy overcrowded place."

The workman ducked his head out from under the ceiling, looked at me, and smiled.

No comments: