Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Long May You Runnymede

Runnymede, morning two.

I decided to come back the next day at exactly the same time (8:30 a.m.) to see if anything had changed, fishing-wise.

I also made a conscious effort to make sure I went in with the right attitude. Specifically, I reminded myself that I couldn't expect generosity if I myself wasn't feeling generous. Although I had taken a philosophical attitude about yesterday's low donations, I had also noticed a bit of cynicism and judgement creeping in: "Hey guy in expensive suit, while you've got your wallet open, why not throw a coin to the musician..." etc.

So I went in with the deliberate intention of simply giving my songs to the station. I briefly considered not opening my guitar case, but I thought that would just baffle everyone and they're already baffled enough. I reminded myself to smile and to be as generous in my outlook as possible.

Apart from being good for my mental health in general, the technique seemed to work. On Morning #1 I earned $11.40 in 1 1/4 hours, while on Morning #2 I earned $16.18 for 55 minutes. That's 15 cents a minute vs. 29 cents a minute, or a 93% increase in my hourly (minutely?) wage.

It's a small change, I know. But hey, it's small change!

My favourite moment came at the very beginning, when a little girl about two years old, being led by her grandma, wanted to listen and then was persuaded to very shyly give me a coin.

I sang Stage directly to her and she was completely enthralled. I had to end the song on purpose in the middle so her grandmother could coax her away without a tantrum.

While this drama was unfolding, a man stopped to watch the three of us interacting. He was clearly delighted, and then he walked off without donating. It didn't matter one bit.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thinking of more good Runnymede song puns? (I know I am!)

"Born to Runnymede" (I thought of using that, but felt it went a bit too far in the enthusiasm department...)

"Take the Money and Runnymede" (Actually, that's probably the best of the bunch isn't it? Let me know if you think of any more.)

No comments: