Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Wednesday Morning, Music Town

My schedule said "Broadview Station, Morning". Sounded good to me.

When I got there I had second thoughts. The construction materials are really piling up in the performance space now, so I'd have to go up against a metal barrier, a stack of drywall and two pylons. Not to mention dust.

I considered sticking around and serenading the construction workers...but I chickened out and went to Pape again, where I resolved to play "Creature of Habit".

Several TTC workers were standing in the performance space when I arrived, talking to each other perhaps about the potential TTC strike which could begin next week. I walked up to them, wearing my best "I-hate-to-bother-you-but-I-was-hoping-to-busk" expression.

"Oh! You want to play here!" one exclaimed, seeming surprised and delighted by the idea. As I set up, they asked me how my amp worked and inquired about how much money I make. I told them I hope for about $20 an hour in a good location.

As it turned out, my amp didn't work very well at all today, dying out in the middle of a song after I'd been playing for 45 minutes. When I played without it, I heard myself over-singing to make up for the loss of volume. I decided to stop early. By doing so, I also made sure I wouldn't be late to pick up the kids for lunch. (Surely I'm the only mother perpetually running late because of her busking commitments.)

In this performance, I debuted the new song I've been telling you about. (!!!!...gratuitous punctuation to indicate continuing feelings of euphoria!!!)

So far, public reaction to the new work is positive.

In 45 minutes I earned $15.75 (exactly as estimated).

Approximately $7.00 of that (in five separate donations) came for "Music Town".

No comments: