Friday, April 22, 2005

Teach Your Children

My son's teacher needed a parent volunteer for a field trip, so I joined the class for the day.

I had a good time. I did a good job, too, helping Grade 4 & 5's with a computer project that explored Gothic architecture. As I've told you recently, I enjoy working with children. They're open and alive and interested in things--not always the things you hope they'll be interested in, but interested nonetheless. They have a spark.

I see that spark every day when I'm on the subway. Children love public transit, with its big exciting red streetcars and shiny fast-moving trains. It's all very thrilling. When children see me playing, their eyes get wide and they stare without reservation. Just the thought of a child walking past me with a bored expression makes me laugh because it's so absurd!

Actually, if I saw that expression--that grown-up expression--on a child in real life I'd be concerned for his or her health. ALL young children engage with me as they walk past, virtually without exception. Some adults discourage this engagement, while others seem to use it as a "teaching moment" on the joy of giving and the value of music.

Today on our field trip, it felt strange for me to be on the subway accompanying a group of children--instead of providing musical accompaniment for children passing by. I'm not certain, but I believe another subway passenger recognized me even though I didn't have my guitar along. (I was wearing my bright red coat, which has become my busking uniform.)

At quiet in-between points in the day, the teacher and I talked together. I found myself mentioning my subway busking. I also mentioned my songwriting workshops. But I didn't raise the subject of teacher's college.

It seems I'm pretty clear about what I enjoy doing.

At another point in the day, though, the teacher mentioned a relative of hers who is a craftsperson, living a somewhat free-form life without a regular job.

She was justifiably mystified as to how her sister survives...and she was concerned for her future.

No comments: